Five Exploratory Groups for PS&O Commission
Big Questions that May Be Relevant for All Groups
- What are the needs of the various groups of our public?
- Why should the institution value public service?
- What is the institutions responsibility to the public?
- What is our vision for (insert focus of each group)?
1.Toward a University-Wide Strategic Plan
- In what areas are our current programs concentrated?
- In what areas are our current programs minimal or nonexistent?
- In what disciplines is public service most/not appropriate?
- What areas can be proposed as priorities for 2020?
- What areas should be eliminated or unsupported?
- How might partnerships with other entities (businesses, other colleges and universities,
non-profit groups, etc.) enhance or strengthen the Universitys contributions to
2.Public Relations & Communications
- Do we test the assumption that U.Va. is suffering negative public opinion?
- Does the local community feel a sense of ownership and pride for U.Va.?
- How do we recognize and acknowledge what the community has done for us?
- How do we best distinguish between relations with different kinds of publics?
- What new communication structures and approaches can we identify?
3.Administrative Structures and Resources
- How can the Universitys explicit mission statements regarding public service be
implemented more systematically and visibly throughout the departments and schools?
- How much are grants/contracts driving our public service efforts and what are the
implications of such a structure?
- What administrative and funding structures exist throughout the institution to support
- What goals for public service exist throughout the units of this institution and how
well are existing structures serving those goals?
- Should funds be earmarked for public service? How could this be done?
- Why should we value volunteer service of students, faculty, and staff?
- What mechanisms currently encourage and support volunteer service?
- Are these mechanisms adequate and, if not, what do we propose?
- How can we more effectively convey the magnitude of volunteer services performed at this
- How does/should service learning enhance the educational experience of students and
5.Reward Structures for Faculty Service
- How does/can faculty service enhance the teaching and research functions of a
- What barriers exist to rewarding faculty service?
- Can faculty service be rewarded through existing processes/structures?
- Would other processes or structures be more effective?
- What incentives can be developed to encourage new faculty service? What rewards can be
developed to recognize current faculty service?