Embracing Gender Identity and Sexual Diversity
in Our Faith Communities
April 2, 2010 | 1:45-2:45 p.m.| Location: Kaleidoscope, Newcomb Hall (3rd floor)
Members of the Interfaith Gay-Straight Alliance discuss their work in various ways to help faith communities by:
- Informing members of our community of the legal and social discrimination currently experienced by LGBTQ persons and their families,
- Persuading our local communities and government representatives at all levels to cease discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, and to legalize marriage by same-sex couples, and
- Offering support and resources to local faith communities and congregations, and to their LGBTQ members.
This session will catalyze conversation about how perspectives regarding religious community life shape ideas about citizenship and participation in the democratic process.
- Rev. Patricia Barth, Interim Pastor, Sojourners United Church of Christ
- Rev. Jim Bundy, Retired Pastor, United Church of Christ
- Linda McNeil, Social Action Council, Thomas Jefferson Memorial Church - Unitarian Universalists
- Aron Teel, Charlottesville Friends Meeting (Quakers)
- Marlon Ross, University of Virginia, moderator